Why do teenagers go off the rails?

Of course, we all know that teenagers’ brains are not yet fully developed and that they cannot plan and foresee the consequences of their actions. Yet 80% of teenagers are doing quite well. What about the other 20%, the teenagers who go off the rails, of which 5% seriously go off the rails? What causes their behavior?

Not being able to meet expectations

When teens cannot meet expectations, it causes low self-esteem. These may be expectations from their environment: school, parents, or friends, but also expectations they have of themselves. Because they continually fail in their own eyes or in the eyes of those around them, their self-esteem decreases. This encourages extreme behavior. The lower your teen’s self-esteem, the worse the rebellious behavior can be.

Depressive feelings

During puberty, many teens experience an emotional rollercoaster. They have problems dealing with their feelings and become increasingly depressed. Depression flattens your feelings. Ultimately, they no longer see a future for themselves. They feel like nothing matters anymore and resort to extreme behavior. This is because they want to feel that they are alive.

Character of the teenager

A teenager with an impulsive, aggressive character will go off the rails more quickly than a calm personality. A child with low intelligence will quickly develop a lower self-esteem and therefore be more likely to go off the rails. It has also been shown that children with a lower heart rate are less likely to worry and be less anxious. They are also less influenced by punishments and the like. This also increases the chance that they will derail.

The influence of social media

In 2010, Dr. Megan A. Moreno conducted research for the National Institute of Health into the influence of social media on the behavior of teenagers and the results appear to be serious. Social media affects the mental health of teenagers. Teenagers who use social media a lot are more likely to exhibit risky behavior and suffer from depression more often. When they see photos of drinking and smoking peers via Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc., they will be influenced by this and will be more likely to smoke and drink themselves. This can also affect teenagers who do not smoke or drink at home or in their immediate circle of friends. The research into the effect of social media is done by Dr. Megan A. Moreno and will continue until the end of 2015.

This concerns young people who use social media too much and in an unhealthy way. Not about young people who use these media to maintain contacts. If your teenager often gets into trouble, is sad or unhappy a lot and seems to be constantly looking for a new sensation, his smartphone may be the cause.

Too little authority in the home

When parents are too tolerant or too little present in their child’s life, the chance that the child will exhibit excessive behavior increases. Disciplinary action is important and is non-negotiable. You find this behavior excessive and you do not accept it, regardless of what anyone else may think. In addition, try to maintain a conversation with your teenager. Tell him your concerns and discuss possible solutions together.